Thursday, July 24, 2008

Writing Assignment #1

I just got the portfolio book that I order over a month ago, sorry.

In terms of creating my portfolio, I think my biggest problem will be analyzing the choices I made during the piece. Each document I work on here is at least 30 pages. There are many decisions and variables that go into the creation of one document and writing a reflective essay may be challenging. English majors often create portfolios, so I have plenty of experience and I have taken many approaches to the creation of these bodies of work but I think as a PWE student I may want to take a more straightforward, traditional route. I've been thinking I may want to use one document and chronicle the path I took. I may use the final document, the document with tracked changes, and supporting emails. The focus of my blog has been process and I think showing how one document went through all of the steps may be a good approach. I fear that may not create a clear picture or give a complete, standard portfolio. I have done many types of work here, created different types of documents and learned how to do and deal with many situations.

I think with my document selection I may be able to highlight what went wrong in the process and how both I can improve and I can help the team to be more efficent. I have been thinking about which document I have worked on would highlight both the good and bad "things" that have gone on in the past few months. Further investigation is needed!

1 comment:

Scott Wible said...

Nice discussion here. I really like your idea to follow a single document through the entire writing/editing process that you guided it through. Making that type of decision will allow you to create a more detailed description and deeper analysis of your decision-making process. Should you want your portfolio to still reflect the broader range of work you did in the position or the broader range of documents with which you worked, you could always create a separate section in your reflective essay that describes those types of projects and some of the more interesting challenges they posed (as compared to the single document that's at the heart of your portfolio).

Through the course of your blog posts you have demonstrated your awareness of one of the most important aspects of the final portfolio--describing the choices you made as you worked on a document AND analyzing these decisions (that is, describing why you made certain decisions instead of others, given your particular role in a project, the purpose and audience for the document, the time available to you, etc.). The purpose of your reflective essay is to show me, through discussing examples from your current work position, that you've developed not only the technical skills that a PWE needs to possess in order to be effective but also sound rhetoric decision-making abilities.