Monday, July 28, 2008

Writing Assignment #2

I prefer to write in the afternoon or evening, that way I have had a full day of experiences to draw and reflect on. Even though writing can be stressful or frustrating, writing in the afternoon can be a winding down process. A stressful or busy day can be eased by research or outline writing, developing a thesis or idea you have conjured the day before. My thought processes work better after going through my daily routine.

I like to write where it is quiet mostly; quiet and where I can spread out. I always have lots of paper, notes, books and usually a computer around me. In the beginning stages of a paper, story, or even portfolio, I can begin in a public place like a restaurant or coffee shop to take in the atmosphere and have the background noise. I enjoy writing in libraries also. I generally work in my apartment because I have my books, notes and computer files at my fingertips. I make use of all available resources in my work and at times I cannot move forward without a key piece (of it).

I have a process in writing papers and creating documents from scratch. I came across this by trial and error in high school. I use different color of pens, lots of blank white paper, post-it notes, outlines and lots of space to spread out. I employ some of the same techniques at my current job. I also try to stay hydrated. It is important for me to work on a piece over a period of time. It helps to put writing down and come back to it. You will see the piece in a different way, you will see different things, things you missed, you may even see it in a new light-or not like it and start over completely after you pick it up again. Writing last minute is difficult for me. I also like to have other eyes on my work to get different perspectives. Editing is an important part of writing-both individually and peer reviews.

These "things" say I am a reflective writer like Maria in our book. I am methodical and take my time. I make use of my resources and I am organized. I think it is important, at least for me to maintain these characteristics in my writing for the entirety of my career. Like my my mother always says, TTT: things take time!

No comments: